Friday 25 February 2011

Daytona 500 champ Trevor Bayne crashes in practice

Whar a difference a week makes, The youngest Daytona 500 winner in History one week, having the president on the phone as a result and becoming a household name.

Bayne, 20, posted the second-fastest lap in Nationwide Series practice, behind Kyle Busch.

"I just cant wait to get back in the race car. That's where I feel the most comfortable," said Bayne, before his world came crashing back to reality,

On the first lap in his first Cup practice session, Bayne's tires locked. He struck the wall in Turn 4, demolishing the right side of his Wood Brothers Ford and forcing him to a backup car.

"On pit road I told them the brakes felt like they weren't working right," Bayne said. "I paced myself getting into the corner. … As soon as I let off the gas, I said, 'I'm crashing.' I knew it wasn't going to slow down and it happened."

Follow me on twitter @darrenmsviews

No comments:

Post a Comment